What is Direct Access?
Direct Access is simply the right of customers to choose between different electricity suppliers, just as they choose between goods and service providers throughout their daily lives, from cellular carriers and internet service providers to grocery stores.
Direct Access is also the most efficient avenue to competitive power supply, renewable energy and energy management technologies. You choose the electricity supplier that meets your particular needs and you can vote with your wallet if your supplier does not meet your expectations. The customers' needs help drive the variety of products and services provided by retail suppliers.
What is an ESP?
An Energy Service Provider (ESP) is an entity that offers electrical service to customers within the service territories of PG&E, SCE and SDG&E and which has met state registration requirements. ESPs provide customers the opportunity to choose the products and services most consistent with their needs, goals and/or objectives. ESPs offer competitive power supply, renewable energy, demand response products and energy management technologies.
Competitive suppliers provide pricing tailored to the customer. Competition leads to innovation and environmentally superior electricity offerings. Multiple buyers and sellers operate in a transparent, competitive market, giving consumers efficient offerings and more choice. In contrast, monopoly regulation guarantees recovery of utility costs, providing little incentive to operate effectively and pass savings on to customers.
Benefits of Direct Access
It's Your Choice
• You choose the electricity supplier that meets your particular need
• For many business customers, suppliers tailor supply and terms to
suit your company's individual needs.
• You can vote with your wallet if your supplier is unresponsive or
doesn't meet your expectations.
Paying Attention to the Customer
• The customers' needs help drive the variety of products and services
provided by retail suppliers.
• Competitive suppliers provide pricing tailored to the customer.
• Competition has led to innovative and environmentally superior
• In competitive markets, multiple buyers and sellers operate in a transparent,
competitive market leading to efficient pricing for consumers.
• Monopoly regulation guarantees recovery of costs, providing little incentive
to operate efficiently and pass savings on to customers.
Using Power Wisely
• Competitive suppliers can help you manage your power and use
it efficiently during high-priced periods of peak demand.